Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Context differs depending on your viewpoint.

People who created that meme would likely be of the view that Israel is on stolen land and they should kicked out and the land handed over to people of a nation that never existed.

I don't subscribe to that view.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Example.

Israeli actress Gal Gadot makes this tweet.

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/139 ... 39/photo/1

and gets hammered by so called progressives for it.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/c ... 660eb2d955
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:Context differs depending on your viewpoint.

People who created that meme would likely be of the view that Israel is on stolen land and they should kicked out and the land handed over to people of a nation that never existed.

I don't subscribe to that view.
Views are views and nearly everyone invested in one side or the other has an agenda, but I've been loosely following this for a few weeks now and as far as I can tell everything in that meme is true.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

It may well be, but keep in mind who's attacking and who's retaliating.

Hamas is firing rockets into Israel indiscriminately, hoping to kill or maim as many innocents as possible.

Israel has good defensive mechanisms so their death toll is minimal

Israel fire back at the rocket launch sites which Hamas has deliberately placed near innocent civilians, resulting in casualties. Their intent is to detroy the rocket launch sites, not to kill innocents.

I put it to you that it's Hamas that's to blame for any Palestinian casualties.
David

Post by David »

^ I know there’s a lot of pro-Israeli propaganda around, but even given that I don’t know how anyone could reasonably believe that the Palestinians are the attackers and Israel is merely retaliating. Like, it’s actually depressing to read that.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Israel don't fire missiles at the Palestinians unless they are fired upon first, do they?
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

This current episode started off with Israeli hubris. However the winners now are the Islamofascists of Hamas and Netanyahu on the Israeli side: the former because they had become largely irrelevant and the latter as he was on his way out with current corruption proceedings and a coalition forming without him. Continuation of the conflict will serve Netanyahu’s interests.

Continuation will operate against Hamas’s interests.

The losers will be the civilians as per usual and mostly Palestinian civilians. However, statistics so to speak are invariably hard to corroborate in Gaza. Hamas does not allow independent verification and amplifies civilian casualties while Israel minimises that by referring to Hamas and Islamic Jihad amongst the casualties.

Hamas will be seen as the Muslim world defenders of Jerusalem however their continued use of missiles into Israel has lost the initial support they would have got from Biden.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
David

Post by David »

^ I don’t disagree with much of that, but surely you’re dreaming if you thought Biden would ever say a word in Palestinians’ favour.
stui magpie wrote:Israel don't fire missiles at the Palestinians unless they are fired upon first, do they?
Much of this was started by unprovoked attacks from Israelis. As per page 1, there were numerous cases of attacks on Palestinians by right-wing extremist Israelis (who the government does nothing to rein in) and then the military attacking protesters, long before any missiles were fired.
watt price tully

David wrote:^ I don’t disagree with much of that, but surely you’re dreaming if you thought Biden would ever say a word in Palestinians’ favour.
stui magpie wrote:Israel don't fire missiles at the Palestinians unless they are fired upon first, do they?
Much of this was started by unprovoked attacks from Israelis. As per page 1, there were numerous cases of attacks on Palestinians by right-wing extremist Israelis (who the government does nothing to rein in) and then the military attacking protesters, long before any missiles were fired.
No, Biden was no lover of Netanyahu, why would the democrats be that given the contemptible way he treated Obama and his love fest for Trump. At the same time the so called 2 state solution which Netanyahu has done his best to sabotage means some justice for Palestinians. In that way Biden was cautious in the beginning. However, once the barrage of missiles occurred then end of story so to speak.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
watt price tully

Military ruse: The Israeli’s told the western media mostly that there was an ground offensive, an incursion into Gaza. This was quickly and widely reported.

As a consequence, Hamas moved their fighters underground into their labyrinthine network of tunnels referred to as the “Metro”. Once this occurred Israel pounded the tunnels, destroying the tunnels (? To what extent) killing the fighters in the tunnels. 2 hrs later or so they changed the message they gave the media as no ground incursion occurred:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/report-he ... ed-dozens/
5 from the wing on debut

Post by 5 from the wing on debut »

Natural selection.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

watt price tully wrote:Military ruse: The Israeli’s told the western media mostly that there was an ground offensive, an incursion into Gaza. This was quickly and widely reported.

As a consequence, Hamas moved their fighters underground into their labyrinthine network of tunnels referred to as the “Metro”. Once this occurred Israel pounded the tunnels, destroying the tunnels (? To what extent) killing the fighters in the tunnels. 2 hrs later or so they changed the message they gave the media as no ground incursion occurred:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/report-he ... ed-dozens/
Nice work.