The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Kind of feel long term we need to bottom out ala 2020 more recently.
The well is dry.
We climbed mount everest 2023.
Now for the rebuld for 2 years.
Ramp every thing up in the meantime.
2026 another flag tilt.
Me thinks the Pies will be one of the casulties of the Tassie team.
Starting with Graham Wright going.
I think after 2028 say we will be annual battlers see St Kilda.
2025 i have a feel is like 2022 in general terms.
2024 is our 2020 or 2021.
Need young talent badly.
the cliff is now.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

A thoughtful contribution- thank you Mr INXS88...

Over 30's- I would imagine that Elliott may retire (that vascular issue can be difficult to get over) and that Cox may join him. I would retain Sidebottom as even at his age, he is a far better bloke to have on the list than an untried 21 year old.

Height- Not a quick fix- retain Steene, but delist Begg- If Krueger (12 games) Eyre, Steene and Smit progress, we will be ok for KPP height but we need bigger bodied mids (or two) Ned Long will prove to be a shrewd pick up.

Wright- We can and should do everything to retain such a lateral thinker. He has been sorely missed this year.

Delistings- Bytel, Begg, Ryan (all delisted) Carmichael, Murphy,( concussion protocols) Elliott, Cox,(retired)

Recruiting Targets- Josh Battle (for Murphy), Taylor Walker (frees up Mihocek and complements McStay, Rhys Stanley (Unrestricted Free Agent), Jack Henry (Unrestricted Free Agent), Conor Nash (Unrestricted Free Agent), Adam Tomlinson (Unrestricted Free Agent- recruit as tall wingman), Mason Wood (Unrestricted Free Agent- potential wingman)

Drafting- Swap our (current) picks 26, 44 and 51 (1350 points) for Carlton's 17 and 66 (1105 points) to get into the first round. Leaves us with Picks 17, 66 & 87- a pretty poor draft hand and 66 & 87 would be speculative, at best but are 44 and 51 that much better?? Would hope that Luke Quaynor slips past Top 40 so we can match any bid.

I agree that we need to be bold in trades and targeted Unrestricted Free Agents who absolutely meet our needs. Someone like Rhys Stanley, for example, would cover a back-up ruck for 12 months- Taylor Walker would also be useful for 12 months.. Battle and Mason Wood would be really shrewd acquisitions who would add a depth of talent to the squad- ditto Adam Tomlinson. Connor Nash would be a great midfield addition as a centre square bulldozer- It would be sensational to pinch Jack Henry from Geelong- worth it just to piss off Chris Scott...
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

We need
1. Quality damaging playmaker to supplement NDaicos.. Not the Sullivans or Bytels. !!

2. Influential Big Man , the ones that the game seems to gravitate around.
Smit looks a REAL likely type, but we need one sooner.

I guess I have my untouchables, The if traded, Rob Paul to pay Peter types..
DaicsX2, Hill , DeGoey, Moore, Crisp, Maynard

Lipinski or WHE ?
Cox or Cameron ?
Quaynor or Noble ?
Kreuger or Johnson
Frampton or Dean ?
McCreery or Schultz ?
Harrisson or Richards ?
Allan or Macrae ?

Hard to pick up an A grader or two trading with that. Maybe we just need a higher turnover.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

^
Good reply Charlie. We have to finally take advantage of free agency. We have been woeful since it's inception landing the following:

* Clinton Young: fail
* Q Stick: fail
* Chris Mayne: pass
* Daniel Wells: fail
* Dan McStay: ? (injury prone)

The staggering statistic is we have only attracted five players since free agency commenced in 2012!!! Five players! It's a free hit, no draft capital required and is one of the few anti-communist moves clubs have at their disposal. To think that Essendon, our tormentors last night attracted three in one year (last trade period): McKay, Gresham and Goldstein is a staggering neglect of our club.

Recruiting has always been Collingwood's nadir for 60 years. CHANGE IT.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Need Wright back from his holiday badly.
then we can get down to business.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Need Wright back from his holiday badly.
then we can get down to business.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I kind of like the Essendon and Carlton models for success. Be an absolute rabble for well over 15 years and disappoint their support base for that entire period but all the while knowing if you’re bad enough, long enough, the AFLs reward for mediocrity will somehow drag you back into being competitive at some stage.
The reality is, it’s becoming increasingly difficult for the well run clubs who have enjoyed a period of sustained success to improve again AT A QUICKER RATE THAN THE LOWLY CLUBS, without giving something significant up in order to receive something significant back.
Everything the O P has highlighted is fair and reasonable ( albeit Ive never been a fan of placing expiry dates on players careers ) but when the AFL gives you very little for being good at what you do, while rewarding those that aren’t, then clubs like Collingwood already go to the draft and trade period with one hand tied behind their back.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

inxs88 wrote: We have to finally take advantage of free agency. We have been woeful since it's inception ... To think that Essendon, our tormentors last night attracted three in one year (last trade period): McKay, Gresham and Goldstein is a staggering neglect of our club.

Recruiting has always been Collingwood's nadir for 60 years. CHANGE IT.
Reckon it came down to cap space mate; McKay evidently demanded big dollars, but Goldstein would have been handy, but I guess he didn't see himself climbing the pecking order ahead of Cameron and Cox.
Gresham you wouldn't piss on.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

^

Good point Pies 2016. The journey we have been on as Pies fans vs Essendon and Carlton fans since 2002 has been exceptional. The highs of the last 65 matches under Craig have been the most joyous of any period where one's pride levels for our club's grit and never say die spirit surpasses communist handouts by the AFL.

Consider we have been good enough to play in 11 Preliminary Finals since 2002 whereas Essendon and Carlton have played in 1 combined!!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Kind of feel long term we need to bottom out ala 2020 more recently.
The well is dry.
We climbed mount everest 2023.
Now for the rebuld for 2 years.
Ramp every thing up in the meantime.
2026 another flag tilt.
Me thinks the Pies will be one of the casulties of the Tassie team.
Starting with Graham Wright going.
I think after 2028 say we will be annual battlers see St Kilda.
2025 i have a feel is like 2022 in general terms.
2024 is our 2020 or 2021.
Need young talent badly.
the cliff is now.

Utter horesshit, your pessimism is now one quarter glass empty. :o :roll:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Pies2016 wrote:
The reality is, it’s becoming increasingly difficult for the well run clubs who have enjoyed a period of sustained success to improve again AT A QUICKER RATE THAN THE LOWLY CLUBS, without giving something significant up in order to receive something significant back.....then clubs like Collingwood already go to the draft and trade period with one hand tied behind their back.
That maybe the case but for me that strengthens the argument for more informed and judicious recruiting, something we haven't always been that good at. We have a dearth of taller players coming through and a number of maybe also ran runners and midfield players. I've been on record of not being a great fan of Hine's methodology. Too often he recruits players who meet one criteria (Often speedy runners) who are deficient in other required skills - kicking and tackling ability (or potential for development) for example. I think we need some fresh blood and eyes in our recruitment team as a first step.

Also talent and system shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Ideally we want a team that is both talented and able to play in whatever system we are deploying.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Also talent and system shouldn't be mutually exclusive. Ideally we want a team that is both talented and able to play in whatever system we are deploying.
Bingo, give the man a Cigar, 100% spot on.

System is what you rely on when you don't have talent. When you add Talent to a well functioning system, then you've got something happening.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Was thinking what course we would take,
Thinking trade for need not best available.
if so we will need to scrape the bottom of the barrell for talls.
I am done been a flat footed mossie fleat.
Time for some height.
Dont care how much experience either.
I wish the recrutment staff all the best as thy will need it.
To me this is the most vital trade draft period we have had.
This can set us up well into this decade.
Like to have one that sets us up for the next 5-6 years so until 2030.
Time for a vision.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Pies2016 wrote:I kind of like the Essendon and Carlton models for success. Be an absolute rabble for well over 15 years and disappoint their support base for that entire period but all the while knowing if you’re bad enough, long enough, the AFLs reward for mediocrity will somehow drag you back into being competitive at some stage.
Hard to tell if youre being sarcastic... If you are you can ignore the rest of my post...

As bad as you all think we've been at recruiting, we have played in 10 prelims in 20 years. I get that we'd like a flag every season, but thats never gonna happen. I would much rather be above average all the time than go 20 years without a finals win 'just to get the handouts".
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

I do like the original post.

What do we do now to look ahead? Commented in the post-game thread that we may already be seeing that with some unusual positional and selection moves. Injuries mask some of this of course and you pick who is available.

From a list perspective it's no good we dont have a first rounder, but I wouldnt undo the Schultz trade. He's got a decent career ahead of him. If we finish just outside the 8, and that turns out to be pick 6-10, the average (terrible metric...) return on a player in that range is 130 games. He's played 104 and will get to 200 IMO. Thats as good a return as can be expected from a draft pick in that range.

Curious to hear the commenbt on "that type of vascular issue" relating to Billy. Know something we don't? Not that its my business, but I feel likte the club has been pretty vague about it all. Be a shame if his career comes to an end.

I think we need another season out of Cox.

Wouldnt be opposed to entertaining a trade for a couple of B grade 24-26 year olds - if it can help us get a net upgrade. Quaynor, Lipinski, McCreery?

So hard to speculate though given the numerous permutations...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...