The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Re: The List

Post by SLORT »

Brisbane is the interesting one for us. They currently have picks 15, 53, 62 for a total points of 1468. We have 26, 44, 45 for a total of 1438. If Ashcroft goes early there may be wriggle room here for us to get some future pick/s to help with McGuane. Not talking about giving up #26, but 44 and 45 are worth 700sh points, which will get him there if he gets selected at #3. I think keeping #26 and getting 1 or 2 free agents and (hopefully) Keane would be a good result for us.
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Big T wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2024 4:30 am^
If there is one draft to have multiple top 30 picks, its this one.

It has the best depth there has been in years. They say those outside the top 50 would be top 30 in most drafts. You'll have some very good players taken in the third and 4th rounds.
You'll find clubs wanting to trade into this draft because of the depth. I think we'll try as well. Another top 30 pick would be handy
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
The overall standard of talent, particularly the two Vic teams in the U18 championships, was the best I had seen over a number of years.
I think the clubs strategy will partly revolve around where they see Tom McGuane going in the 2025 draft. He’s put together a really strong season as a bottom ager, so there’s no reason to think he won’t be better again next year. If the club believes he’s a ( second half) first rounder in 2025, then there’s the opportunity to trade out our 2025 first rounder for a first round selection in this years draft. That way, the club could at least feel comfortable they could snag Tom as a first rounder with just an accumulation of later second and third round picks ( albeit the DVI is set to toughen up ) This would improve this years draft hand significantly and still help us land an F / S first rounder in 2025 ( ASSUMING he is still rated that highly in another 12 months time )
There’s basically three mechanisms to improve your list over the off season. Either the draft, trading for quality ready made talent or introducing players onto your list via free agency.
We will pretty much have only two of those three options available to us in the coming off season. Free agency (along with 17 other clubs) but only one of two options out of either decent draft picks OR trading in ready made players from other clubs. Given it’s an ageing list, I’d suggest the focus will likely be more aimed at the draft than it would be topping up with mature age players from other AFL clubs.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Thanks for your explanation and analysis P2016. I'm one who hasn't a clue how this whole draft points system works, but if it pans out as you suggest it might, then we should be in a position to strengthen our list.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Cheers R B.
I’m trying to gain any info as to where young McGuane will likely go in the 2025 draft. The club will have a good idea as to where he would likely be selected, albeit a lot can change in 12 months ( especially with the growth spurts that can accompany many 15/16 year old males )
As a 16 year old, he’s not being talked about like Rowell, Nick or the Ashcroft brothers all were, so I’ve not seen anything to suggest he’s a top 10 pick .. yet. The club may also believe they’ve secured a free hit by landing Will Parker back in March this year as opposed to this years coming draft.
Once the AFL release the conditions around the trading of picks for two years in advance, then all clubs can properly prepare their strategies. It won’t be a “no rules apply” arrangement, so the restrictions to come will form a major part of any decision making at this draft and the next.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^^^
Well Tom gets a mention below in the scouting notes for this weekends Coates league. Described as a ‘classy midfielder…another one to watch’

https://central.rookieme.com/afl/2024/0 ... ls-begins/
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

The arrogance of The coach and recruiters in the Shultz, Ginne and Adams trade was breathtaking.
Ginnie was brought into the coaches office and told in a round about way to find another club.
Very similar to what i have seen as a school teacher a 1000 times.
When slightly naughty boys are told by school principal to find another school.
We dont want you spoiling the culture of the school now do we!!!!
Ginnie has kicked 40 goals in 2022.
Sullivan, Ned Long, Richards, Reef, Markov, Noble, McCrae, Carmichael, Begg, Johnston, Bytell, Ryan, Allan are ordinary at best.
Sidebottom, Howe, Cox, Pendles, Checkers, Elliot and Hoskin Elliot are finished this year or next.
That is 20 players!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We are in real strife!!!!!!!
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

5 years to rebuild this list if we make the right decisions
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Carmichael has already retired…..
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Dark Beanie wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2024 7:51 pm Carmichael has already retired…..
Yep and I should have added Murphy....so that makes 21
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Outside of Nick Daicos we don't really have any other good Kids coming thru

Too Many Old Players on List
I am Da Man
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Lack of Young Guns outside of Nick Daicos

Post by Dave The Man »

Hey Nick Daicos could be a All Time Great of Collingwood/AFL but he can't to everything and need good players around him

Sadly looking at our Kids outside of Nick is a Bit of a Worry most has not Cemented themselves in the AFL Team and outside of the 1st 3 Games in the VFL they been Terrible

So looking at Some Kids I think has shown Potential but not Best 22 Players quite yet:

Reef McInnis
Will Parker
Harvey Harrison
Smit
Steene

Some Players that are 50/50 at Best:

Jakob Ryan
Ed Allen
Fin McCrae

Last 2 Players in last Draft in TJ and Harry D has shown a Bit but there 1st Season

Total Busts and most likely gone at Seasons End:
- Begg

None of these are 100% Certanties to be in our Best 22 in coming years
I am Da Man
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

I start by saying, we won a flag. So we got about as much out of this list as we could hope.

This team was never a real back to back flag threat. Great sides crush lesser opposition. This side won by 1 to 20 points week to week in a flag year. Fine, we won a flag. But not a brilliant side.

The slide has come, and has come hard.

What i hope has become clear to the club is:

A: Your going to have to do this year, what you didn't last, that is, force a few of the older players out the door. For mine sorry, but Sidebottom, Cox and Howe as a starting point.

B: take the hard road on the build, no more spending future picks, hold and actually trade out to build more draft capital. This over spending on a role player from another club, then patching holes with moneyball options and midyear drafts, is not sustainable.

I am not expecting a huge bounce in 2025. It might well have to be slowly slowly for a few years.

The other key to getting rid of some of the older guys is as important as draft picks. Freeing up salary cap space.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

I've commented about the age profile of our list over several years, so this has been coming. The problem pre-dates this coaching regime.

Thankfully we were able to extract everything out of this list to get a flag and we enjoyed two successful seasons under Fly, which we were blessed with. The process of rebuilding is easier to accept and endure in light of what we achieved last year.

It's just a shame Fly only got two seasons out of this list, so he couldn't enjoy working with this list for longer.

The club has tough decisions to make at seasons end. We need to get ruthless, otherwise we risk falling off a cliff quickly.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Any chance of convincing Dom Milesi to return?
- Side By Side -