#14 Darcy Cameron

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: #14 Darcy Cameron

Post by LaurieHolden »

think better wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:26 am Great to see Cameron's great season has been recognised. His marking is probably about the best in the league these days and his ruck work has improved dramatically.
Still contracted until 2026, for a targeted yet speculative trade post the Grundy debacle, imo outside of Checkers he's emerged to be the best value player on our list.
I'd like to know who the architect was in identifying him in the first place, they deserve to receive our plaudits.

With Mason as 2nd ruck and having identified and drafted Smit who is likely on a fast track to development, who effectively pushed Begg out of a list spot, our ruck prospects are sound enough although I won't be surprised to see an out of favour ruck traded in by the Club.

Might yet Cameron pull a Nick Daicos and be a dark horse for the Copeland?...
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

^ I think he will be in the top 2 of the Copeland...
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Darcy was originally brought to the club as the eventual replacement for Mason Cox (fwd / ruck). A good kick for goal and now his contested marking has now gone up to another level. I could see a day where he again plays more in this role. After all, in the end don't most coaches think that ruck is one of the least important positions on the ground?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Flashback:

Oct 15, 2019, 5:31pm

'Sydney has received pick No.56 in return for trading Cameron and pick No.62 to Collingwood.

Cameron, 24, has played just one game in three seasons (Sydney's shock loss to Gold Coast in 2018) after being selected as a mature-age recruit with pick No.48 in the 2016 NAB AFL Draft.

He joins the Pies on a two-year deal...

"We have been keen for some time to add to our group of ruckmen and Darcy is someone we identified as a good fit for our squad," Guy said.

"We like his marking ability and think that, apart from time spent on the ball, he can develop into a presence in front of the ball. Darcy has the instincts of a natural footballer. I think he will give Nathan and the coaching group real flexibility."'

(afl.com.au)
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

Anyone want to give some credit for the recruitment of this guy for next to nothing?

We’re usually pretty quick to lament that our recruitment department never get anything right…
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

@piffdog that'll be the same crew that bag Hine and reckon a generational KPF will be found without a top 10 pick.
2023 AFL Premiers
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

LaurieHolden wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:13 am @piffdog that'll be the same crew that bag Hine and reckon a generational KPF will be found without a top 10 pick.
Every recruiting man has good and bad days. Are you saying Hine is the best in the business? Because that’s what we need right now. We are at the cross roads. Won’t stay ninth, it’s either up or straight down.
Buon Giorno
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

^ I'm not saying he's the best in the business - I actually dont have a strong view one way or another. I am saying that not every decision our recruiting department have made have been duds.

I'm not sure I could point to who "the best in the business" is because I am not across the strike rate of all the other rival recruiters out there. I would assume to your initial point they all get some right and some wrong.

You're probably right that our trajectory is either up or down - not sideways.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

2019? Gee it feels longer than that. He’s been brilliant and if you saw him at the preseason Torquay Lorne camp last year you’d know why, he put the effort in
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Had an outstanding season. Will finish in the top 2 in the Copeland.

Did well to make the AA squad. Unlucky to not have made the final team.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Santo

Post by Santo »

Not.uncommon for rucks to be a slow burn into elite for their craft til their late twenties.
Uncommon to happen at Collingwood though. Cameron turned out to be a real steal.
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

A dominant aerial force in a breakout season Darcy Cameron took the fourth most contested marks in the AFL (43) across the 2024 Home and Away Season!

2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Yup, good at getting around the ground and helping out in defense (#1 intercept marks among rucks).

However other stats ~
Avg Hitouts 12th, To Advantage 13th, Win % 13th

So maybe recruit another ruckman and turn him into our missing defender?
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I doubt that Darcy Cameron has the mobility to play as a key defender. I thought his ruckwork was very competitive in 2024 but those stats indicate otherwise. The fact that he was chosen in the AA original squad of 44 means that other well qualified judges were impressed with his form relative to other ruckmen in the competition. The fact is that aside from Cameron we only have the back-up rucks of Cox, Frampton and then the inexperienced but promising Steene and Smit.
If Cameron were to suffer an injury then there would be a large hole to fill but I think any recruitment of a Ben Hudson like standby would stand in the way of Steene and Smit's development.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!